Thursday 23 July 2015

Many visits to SodaBottleOpenerwala Bengaluru - Review

Firstly let me apologise for the delay in this blog post. I should have uploaded the post much before as I really love the place now but have been little busy with travel and ill health so the delay. Hope you enjoy reading the post and look forward for the future one's.

I always missed Parsi and Irani food in my life. Never had a parsi friend at whose place I could always go to relish some Dhansak or salli boti. Well, I wasn't even aware of many parsi restaurant in Bengaluru. Then one day I get to know about 'SodaBottleOpenerwala' coming to Bengaluru. With all the hype around, I couldn't resist myself from visiting them. Located centrally at Lavelle road, one just cant miss this place. Truly a tribute to the dying legacy of the Bombay Irani Cafes.

"With SodaBottleOpenerWala, we give you a concept that is unique to India; the dying legacy wonderful chaotic, crowded, bustling, colorful, quirky, cluttered, eccentric and so real world of an Irani cafĂ©. Our way of reviving the love for the edu and the disappearing race behind the cafes" - - AD and Sabina Singh


Have been to this place many times by now. I cannot get enough of this place too. The first time I visited was to chill over an evening with couple of friends over some tea/coffee and snacks. I was pleasantly surprised when I got a table, probably because it was evening and the crowd for dinner was just entering. It is a vibrant place with some old hindi music playing all the time, the place is always filled with chirping of the people. A small toy train takes circles of the restaurant just above your head. During my first visit, I snacked on some Aloo aunty's veg cutlet, Bombay Rasta sandwich, Vada pav along with Pheteli coffee and Raspberry soda, their version of this famous Parsi drink made from real fruit . Yeah, it was a veggie visit but couldn't help but relish the cutlet and sandwich. The Raspberry soda was a refreshing drink. I preferred leaving the place early as I could see many people waiting for a table. I couldn't take any pics during this visit too :(

Next visit was for a dinner. I was waiting for this visit from the day it was opened. Started the evening with Sekanje bin, Persian inspired drink made from mint and dried plum and MRS SODABOTTLEOPENERWALA’S Cold Coffee, Cold coffee made in house with Mrs. SodaBottleOpenerWala’s secret recipe. During the course, also had Masala Pepsi, all these are from the Irani Chai Bar.


























For some starters, we started with Chicken farcha, Parsi style fried chicken. Every bite was tasty and my evening just started awesome with this dish. I am not a mushroom fan but was convinced to try Spicy mushroom on Khari, Khari biscuit topped with mushroom and cheese. This is the only time I have ever loved mushroom the most. 



Next was Eggs Kejriwal, how can one not have have eeda at a Parsi restaurant? Now I can totally understand why its Mr. Devi Prasad Kejriwal’s favourite dish at the Royal Willingdon Sport club in Bombay. Must try! And the last starter was Bohri kheema pav, mildly spiced, but flavourful mutton keema served with pav. This tasted just as my Mom makes, with every bite, I was telling my Mom that its the same taste and one my my favorite mom's recipe. I may not try this again here as I can have the same taste at home.




Heading to main course, I could not stop myself from having Mutton Dhansak, you can opt for boneless or with bone. One can never expect the way Dhansak was served here, it was served in a golden color tiffin carrier with 3 box, one had Caramalised rice with vegetable, one had Classic Parsi dish of mutton with lentils and the last one with kachumbar. Its cooler to call it Kachumbar rather than salad ;) It tasted the best, I could be very bias with dhansak but I just cant not praise it or have it at my every visit. Felt very homely while having this. One more serving for me? Yes, any time but I shall save it for my other visits :)






Paatra ni Macchi was next, it was suggested by some parsi people that I should not miss having this. And for someone like me who loves sea food, I had to ask for this. Pomfret wrapped in green chutney and steamed, healthy and yummy but with bone. The green chutney used in this enhances the taste a lot.



I also tried Sali Mutton, Parsi style mutton curry topped with potato sali. I had to try 'Pateta' at a Parsi restaurant. I like this curry with pav the most.

For desserts from the Irani Bakery, Toblerone mousse came on table, a mousse made from toblerone chocolate. This cup of mousse is very chocolaty and filling. Mawa cake was next, their version of this famous Parsi/Irani cake. Tasted best when warm. 




Some kulfi can be of no harm, so next was Parsi Kulfi. Some Shrewsbury biscuit and Ginger biscuit can also be enjoyed with some warm tea. I usually pack some ginger biscuits from time to time as my Mom enjoys them with her cup of tea.



The entire place was so vibrant and lively, with people chirping. You cannot expect this place to be a quiet one. That night the restaurant witnessed 2-3 birthday celebrations, also people would sing aloud when ever a song starts playing. Now that's the charm of old hindi songs which defines this restaurant too. I really feel the food served here has a homely touch to it which is rarely seen. They have some good cocktails too which you should try. This place makes me visit them for more of eeda, papeta, pav, salli mutton, dhansak, machhi and more.


No comments:

Post a Comment